diabetes

momsal
on 6/19/11 1:41 am - PA
I am hoping that When I get the surgery it will get me off insulin.    Has anyone here had success with this?
bvohl
on 6/19/11 3:43 am
I was pre diabetic before surgery, I was not taking insulin except for when I was pregnant with my daughter. I was on oral medication but now I don't need to take it anymore. Do you have type 1 or type 2 diabetes. If it is type 1 this surgery may help but not get rid of it. If you have type 2 then it should get rid of it once you lose most of your weight. I am not a medical professional, but this is just my experience talking....

Good luck!

Beth
http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wvHjqcu/">
http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wvHjqcu/weight.png">>

Cheryl.P
on 6/19/11 5:00 am - Philadelphia, PA
i was diabetic for 15 years before surgery. two years before surgery i was put on insulin because the diet and oral meds were not working. my a1c was 11.  i took 25 units of lantus and 65 units of novalog in the morning and 30 at lunch and 70 at dinner and still was high. i got my a1c down to 8.5 before the surgery and now i am at  6.  my primary care calles this cured even though it is a high normal. i no longer take any meds.

you should talk to your doctor. the surgery doesn't fix everyone. something about  beta cells being distroyed by long term diabetes, so you may not make enough insulin on your own and still need meds.  or if you are a type 1  diabetic the surgery will not help.
 but for most diabetics it does help
IdaMae D.
on 6/19/11 5:04 am - Philadelphia, PA
Hello,
I am have type II diabetes.  I was diagnoised in 1997 and had it completely under control between weight and medication until 2008.  In 2008 my entire system seemed to go haywire.  Nothing was controling my sugars.  In 2009 after much research on the subject of diabetes and WLS, I decided it was time.  My hubby had surgery in 2006, went off all diabetes medication prior to leaving the hospital and has not taken diabetes medication in 5 years.  After my surgery my sugars were still a bit high, while in the hosptial they were giving me insulin.  The day of discharge my surgeon said they were coming down steadily enough that he wanted me off my diabetes meds and that if I saw a spike I was to call him and he would perscribe how much he wanted me to take.  I left the hospital and since that day have not had one drop of diabetes medication.

As my PCP explained to me, I will always have diabetes, however due to becoming healthy and down to a normal weight my diabetes is in remission.  That is his word and my word for it, don't know if it medically accepted as a term for diabetes and the effects WLS has on it. 

So to answer your question, yes there is a good chance you will be off all medication, however, I do know of one person that after surgery is still on diabetes medication and has not be able to become medication free.   Most others that I know have been medication free since the surgery. 

Hope all goes well for you.

Ida

IdaMae

momsal
on 6/19/11 7:08 pm - PA
I love hearing  all of your success stories!!!! 
I have type 2    and am on novalog and lantus  shots plus oral

I am praying that all of that will go bye bye!!

Thanks for the encouraging words!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views